Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Congress Woman Jackie Speier Talks About Her Abortion


“Last night, I spoke on the House floor about a painful time in my life when the pregnancy that my husband and I prayed for was unsuccessful. I had what’s called dilation and evacuation or d & e. The fetus slipped from my uterus into my vagina and could not survive. Today some news reports are implying that I wanted my pregnancy to end, but that is simply not true. I lost my baby. 

“It is time to stop politicizing women’s health. For some, describing a procedure like the one I endured is nothing more than talking points. But for millions of women like me it’s much more—it’s something that will always be a part of us.

“Planned Parenthood provides vital services to women including family planning and cervical cancer screenings. I am disappointed that the House passed the Pence amendment to defund it. These sorts of policies would turn back the clock on women’s health and reproductive rights. I urge the Senate to defeat it. It is time to stop playing politics with our lives.”   

Having read this, I certainly hope that Senator Inouye's promise that this Pence Amendment will be DOA (Dead on Arrival) once it hits the Senate floor will be correct. These are very serious times, however, and the very possible threat of having the government shut down for any length of time is absolutely outrageous and unconscionable! Our beloved nation appears to be unraveling before our eyes and spinning out of control...

No comments: