Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Some Reflections On The SFO Plane Crash

In 1970 two Boeing 747's collided on the ground while on the runway at an airport in the Azores. Over 500 people died in this tragedy. It's a miracle that the Asiana Airlines plane did not collide with the United Airlines 747 nearby. Such a horrific loss of life could have followed. Admittedly, from a statistical standpoint, one is safer flying on a commercial p[lane that driving down the freeway in a car. But flying is a dangerous business. I took my first airline ride in June of 1967. I was going to US Navy boot camp. In the last 46 years I have logged literally thousands of hours in the air. There was only one moment when I thought that I was going to die. It was on a flight from Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires in February of 1980. In January of 2001 I was on a flight from SFO to Miami (I was on my way to pick up Elena and bring her to the USA,by the way) There was a party on board for a stewardess who was retiring after 36 years of service. At the end of the party, I talked to the retiring stewardess in private. I asked one question as follows:"In your 36 years of flying was there ever a moment when you thought that you were going to die?" Her response was quick:"That's a silly question; of course not."

No comments: