Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

A Mysterious Power Failure In My Office

There is an old saying from ancient Greece as follows:
      "It takes a great mind to comprehend the obvious."
       I installed a new internet system in my home office a few weeks ago, It has "all the bells and whistles including a back up modem that switches me to cell phone towers if the Xfinity internet goes down. It is super fast which makes me more efficient and productive when I work. It has an advanced battery that would keep me online for 12 hours if we had a catastrophic power failure.
       Early yesterday morning there was a big pop. It went dead. I did all normal recovery procedures and nothing worked. I assumed that Xfinity was doing maintenance to the entire system. Late in the morning it was still dead. I talked to 5 different Xfinity customer service reps after playing "the 800  number shuffle." On try #6, I insisted that they send out a tech. My whole afternoon was lost waiting for the tech to arrive. He arrived late in the afternoon. He turned on the high-powered battery. Power came back on. He left. The battery kept going off. Fortunately the tech was still downstairs doing post-service paperwork. I brought him back up. He did a further investigation. He discovered that a light switch had to be turned on to provide power to the battery, The tech who did the installation never saw this. I had been running on battery power for weeks.

No comments: