Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

41 Years Ago My Mother Got A Surprise Visit

Everyone yesterday afternoon I was reading the latest copy of The Tulanian magazine. It was dedicated to New Orleans and its celebration of 300 years as a city. One section was devoted to the Jewish community in New Orleans and its incredible contributions to the city's cultural and economic life. A picture appeared in the article of Edith Rosenwald Stern. Her family were the founders of Sears and Roebuck Company. In the early 1930's my mother was hired to be the governess for her children. It was a happy job for her and mother made a profound and positive impression on Mrs. Stern.
In 1976, a dear friend named William Bahr had applied for a job with Mrs. Stern. I took note of my mother's great relationship with Mrs. Stern. I called Mrs. Stern. I told her that I wanted to give her a reference for Mr. Bahr. I asked permission to come to see her in person. Much to my surprise, she invited me to her home for a Saturday morning meeting.
I made the 400 mile drive from Houston to New Orleans. I drove to Mrs. Stern's mansion. It was a large brick house. As I entered the foyer, I saw two Mickey Mouse drawings from Walt Disney circa 1928. The house had a heating plant like an office building. Mrs. Stern was kind and gracious with me. We spent most of Saturday morning talking. She was impressed at my loyalty to my friend. She also talked at length about my mother.
I left the house feeling happy. My dear friend didn't get the job because he didn't have the correct engineering background. However, my mother got a big surprise. One morning around lunchtime, a limousine appeared in front of her Houston house. Mrs. Stern came to the door. She and mother had a nice visit. Mrs. Stern then invited her to lunch. They rode to a 5-star restaurant in the limousine.
My mother was touched and surprised that such a wealthy lady remembered her after 45 years.
Sitegen Web site generation framework
CRDL.USG.EDU

No comments: