Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library

Yesterday I took a tour of the John F. Kennedy presidential library. It was an awesome and a positive experience. The presidential library is located on the campus of the University of Mass. It is a tall and impressive white building. When I went inside I got a feeling of great warmth and hope. I felt that John F. Kennedy's spirit was there. Everyone was warm and friendly. I went to the book store and got the usual magnets and shot glasses (for Luah). I also found an incredible book about John Kennedy. I have always wondered what would have happened in Vietnam had Kennedy lived. Three scholars from Cornell University have written an excellent book on the subject: Vietnam Had Kennedy Lived. They had the benefit of all sorts of archives recently opened and other disclosures. They also conducted hundreds of hours of oral interviews. Their conclusion was that Kennedy would have pulled out of Vietnam and we would not have had the tragedy where 58,000 Americans, 4,000 Koreans, 500 Australians, and some 2,000,000 Vietnamese died. It really gave me a lot of peace. This presidential library is uplifting and illuminating. It was a morning well spent!

No comments: