Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

15 Years Ago Today I Went To Jail

15 years ago today I was arrested by a team of 6 US Marshals. I was not charged with a crime. I was charged with civil contempt of court. I was hauled to the Santa Clara County Jail. I was facing up to 18 months in Federal prison. Ironically the US Marshals who arrested me felt bad about what they had done. They got me an incredible criminal defense attorney named Nicholas Humy. He thought that my case was hopeless but took some big risks. Then three people stepped up and fought to get me released-Joao Santos, Djenane Santos and Louvern Costner. What they did was heroic. I ended up with a very light jail sentence and was able to start my life over again. Dear Nicholas Humy died of cancer two years ago. Joao, Djenane and Louvern are still doing well. Today is a sad day for most as we remember September 11, 2001. For me it is a joyous day because my life was saved by 4 wonderful and special people who helped me so much when I was helpless and facing the trillion dollar might of the state.

No comments: