Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

September 11

September 11 keeps popping up in my life. On this day in 1973, Salvador Allende was overthrown by General Pinochet in Santiago. I was there to watch this moment in history. Just 1000 feet from me was my dear friend Pablo Gallyas. On this date in 1996 a little after 3:00 PM I arrived in San Jose, California on a Greyhound bus from San Antonio, Texas. Thus began my 19 years in the San Francisco Bay area. On this date in 1998, 6 US Marshals arrested me at a Mexican restaurant in the Willow Glen section of San Jose for contempt of court. A six month ordeal began. I was blessed to have a wonderful lawyer in the late Nicholas Humy. Two incredible friends stood up for me and fought for me until I was released 6 months later, Joao Santos and Louvern Costner. This afternoon I shall commemorate this anniversary at the Mexican restaurant.  Fourteen years ago we all remember the terrible attacks of September 11. I was working at Telewave, Inc. We watched it all on the television news. It was surreal. I found it hard to believe what was happening. I was sure it was the beginning of more horrible attacks. My first call was to Elena. I gave her the news and she told me that I was joking. I assured her that it was not a joke. I then called my son Pedro in Toronto to make sure that he was all right. Today is a day to give thanks that I made through so many tough things.

No comments: