Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Each Morning I Awaken And Give Thanks

The month of October begins. Elena has the day off and is sleeping late. The house is quiet. I think back 27 years ago to 1988. I was employed by the non-profit Mary Lind Foundation in Los Angeles. This is a wonderful alcohol and drug treatment program with residential facilities for recovering alcoholics and drug addicts. The head of all physical education programs was a very tall and funny man originally from Chicago. His name was John Webb. At 10:00 each week day morning he would lead residents at one treatment center or another in an hour of physical exercise. He always began the workout with the following words: "I had a good night last night. Think about all of the people who did not wake up this morning."

Each morning that I awaken and see beautiful Elena next to me I think of his words. I give thanks to God for one more day of life with hope.

No comments: