Pages

Monday, July 9, 2018

Samsung Sold Me A Lemon refrigerator And Failed To Honor Their Warranty

Dear Geoff and Alan:

    In September of 2016, Elena and I paid over $2,500 for a Samsung fridge (4 doors, icemaker, etc. In June of 2018 after the one-year warranty had expired, it started to make a loud noise. The freezing compartment partially failed.

   A very reliable appliance repair company came out to look and spent 5 hours tearing it apart and examining it in detail. As a matter of interest, the tech was a Russian man who had once taught engineering in Russia. The conclusion was that the compressor motor in the back of the fridge had failed. The estimated repair bill was $2,000-$3,000. The good news was that it was covered under a five-year warranty.

   What happened next was a nightmare of 800-number calls (some lasting 1.5 hours), obstructions, lying and game playing. A Samsung-approved tech came out. He told me reassuringly that the compressor motor was only short of freon. He told me to contact a freon company to get it charged up. I was charged $240.00 for this consultation. I contacted another company. A technician came out and charged up the freon. The compressor in the back of the fridge failed. It partially came back to life later. This tech agreed with the first company that the compressor had failed and needed to be repaired or replaced.

    A decent company would have honored their warranty. They would have decided that the repair was too expensive and sent us a new fridge. Instead I knew that I was facing another round of 800-number calls, obstructions,and lies. I sent a report to Samsung about this on a customer satisfaction  survey. I never got a response.

   I had to buy a new fridge from LG. It cost Elena and I close to $3,000. I feel that legal action in California Superior Court or US District Court is warranted. You are the experts.

With kindest regards,

No comments: