Pages

Monday, November 12, 2018

Had I Been In Combat On The Last Day Of World War I

Everyone 100 years ago today, World War I ended at 11:00 AM Greenwich Mean Time. All the combatants knew the hour and the moment of the end of this awful conflict. Yet men kept dying up to the last moment.
Since I was in the US Navy now, I would have been in the US Navy then. i might have been chasing German U-Boats (half-heartedly) or rescuing survivors of a torpedoed British battleship (HMS Britania). The World War I would have ended peacefully for me. I would be thankful to be alive.
If I had been a soldier or US Marine, the last day of the war would have been terrifying. Many combatants would have been tempted to relax and "let the clock run out." If they did, they would have faced arrest with a fire squad or years in prison to follow.
I would have tried to look busy and aggressive firing my weapon and staying alert while being very careful to avoid any unnecessary injury.

No comments: