Pages

Monday, April 29, 2019

25 Years Ago I Became Part Of An Incredible Moment In South Africa's History


25 Years Ago Today I Voted In The First All-Race Election In South Africa
    It was a sunny and beautiful Friday morning in the Port Elizabeth (South Africa) suburb of Saint Albans. It was a special national holiday. All South Africans (regardless of race) were going to the polls to elect a new president for the first time in the 500+ year history of the country.
         I was going through hard times financially. I had a low-level clerical government job. I did not own a car. I lived in a humble apartment with two other men. I only had a good diet because my job was working at a center for military, police, and prison services personnel. I got to eat in the officer’s mess. The food was quite decent.
    Despite my humble circumstances, a brand-new 3 Series BMW sedan pulled up at my apartment building. A well-dressed captain in the South African army stepped out of the car. He walked to the door of my apartment and knocked. When I opened the door, he told me that he had been sent to take me to the polls to vote. (How I got this VIP treatment will be the subject of a blog post tomorrow.)
    I followed him to the BMW and got in on the passenger side. There was great fear on this beautiful and sunny day. Major violence and disruption had been predicted. As we drove through the streets of Saint Albans, soldiers and police lined the streets. Despite all this tension, there was a feeling of relaxation, hope, and confidence.
   When we arrived at the polling place, the captain came with me to the place where voters were checked in and given their ballot. I presented my South African National ID book. The captain vouched for me with election officials. I was given a two-page paper ballot. It had the pictures of all candidates by the place to cast one’s vote. This was because so many of the voters were illiterate and could not read and write.
     I went to a polling station. I made my decision and cast my vote. The captain drove me back to my apartment. Throughout South Africa that day, there were sporadic and infrequent episodes of violence. No charges were ever made of election tampering or voter fraud.
    A little before midnight, Nelson Mandela was declared the winner. There was euphoria all over South Africa. Parties were going on everywhere. (Take my word for it, no one knows how to give a party like South Africans!) For me the most touching moment of this election euphoria was when a black woman was being interviewed on The South African Broadcasting Commission. She said these words: “Finally they will start treating us like adults and stop treating us like children!”
    On that day I was part of an incredible moment in history that was watched all over the world. I was honored to have been allowed to vote. I was delighted to see a fair election with little violence or intimidation. State President FW de Klerk conceded in a most-kind manner.
    I now have the benefit of 25 years to look back on that day and what followed. Nelson Mandela went on to serve 5 years as president. He exceeded all my expectations. The two men who came after him as president were huge disappointments. At the time of the election 25 years ago, South Africa was the economic power house of the African continent with 40% of the continent’s gross domestic product. Now South Africa has the number three economy in Africa with Nigeria being #1 and Egypt being #2.
     Some progress has been made to alleviate the huge disparity in comes and wealth that existed between the 15% white minority and the 85% majority of color. The unemployment rate is still above 27%. Corruption is rampant. Crime rates are high. The new president, Cyril Ramaphosa is honest and sincere. He has a hard challenge to overcome.
       South Africa has not achieved what I had hoped for it 25 years ago. But it is not a failed state either.


No comments: