Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

My Computer Got Hit With A Ransom Demand

      My main computer that keeps everything going crashed traumatically yesterday in the morning. A red light flashed on the screen and I was told to call an 855 number to find out where to make a payment. I powered down the computer. It would not restart. I was afraid that I had run into a full-blown ransom hijacking of the computer with a demand for, say $10,000 US to get my data back. It was scary for an hour. I got The Geek Squad on the line. They analyzed the problem and had some good news. In a full-blown ransome situation, someone would call and make the demand for money and give payment instructions. I received no such call. I took the computer to The Geek Squad. They got it cleaned up and I will pick it up today.
     What caused this disaster? The Geek Squad explained it to me. Often times you need to install drivers or software updates in your computer. Google will give you several options. DO NOT CHOOSE OPTION 1 OR OPTION 2!!!! This allows malware to enter your computer. Elena made the comment that Apple computers do not have this problem.

No comments: