Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A Sudden Windfall Lands A Louisiana Woman In Jail

 

      An article caught my attention and got me laughing. A woman in the suburbs of New Orleans went online to check her Charles Schwab stock brokerage account. She found that it had magically grown by over $1,200,000 US. She went out on a fast and a wild spending spree. She bought a new house, a new car, etc.

      Charles Schwab caught up to her. They told her that they had deposited the large sum into her account by error. They demanded the return of the money. She could not return it all. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department has changed her with bank fraud and grand theft.

    In the US legal system such an erroneous deposit of funds to an account is deemed to be a criminal offense. After all, you knew that the money was not yours. In a country with a British Common Law legal system views such matters differently. Such an error is deemed to be negligence on the part of the financial institution. A civil suit is filed to recover the funds.

     This story takes me back to January of 1988. I was living in L.A. at the time. I was drowsy when I awakened one morning. I opened my mail from the previous day. One letter was from my money market fund Capital Preservation Fund. I looked at my statement. I normally kept $1,000 US in the account. I was shocked to see a balance of $310,000 US. I asked my domestic partner Antonieta to confirm this balance. She confirmed it.

    At that time, I was working as a paralegal at a personal injury law firm. When I arrived at work, I went right into the senior partner's office. I showed him the statement. He laughed long and hard. When he regained his composure, he gave me the following advice:

     "Jack, if you take any of this money, you will go to jail. On the other hand, any interest earned while the money sits in the account is yours."

        It took several months for the financial institution to discover the error and remove the funds. I made a tidy amount of money off the interest. The financial institution praised my honesty. The grandson of the founder became a friend of mine.

No comments: