Pages

Saturday, May 27, 2023

"Cutting The Cable"- 90 Lbs. Of Useless Metal In A Cardboard Box

 Saturday morning is upon us again. My US readers are familiar with the expression "Cutting the cable." Cable television companies have grown so expensive that they are unaffordable to the average consumer. In our case, our residential cable television bill escalated to $405.00 US per month. Just the bill for our company internet escalated to $305.00 US per month. Our friends complained to us about escalating cable television bills.

    Something had to be done. We went to our technical person Erik Noyes. He recommended AT and T fiber-optic high-speed internet and Hulu Television for television streaming.
    We installed AT and T internet at a cost of $104.00 US per month. We replaced Comcast's business internet and Comcast's residential internet. We have been most satisfied with the performance of this internet carrier.
         Two of our televisions were not internet capable. We replaced them with two inexpensive televisions with Web OS and great internet capability with access to Amazon's Alexa. We initiated Hulu Television at a cost of $82.00 US per month.
    Yesterday I came back from my workout at the pool. Elena was out walking Loki. I began taking out Comcast equipment from the study, living room, and guest bedroom. I started Hulu Television on the living room television. It worked flawlessly. It passed Elena's tough test.
       I worked very hard. I got tired. We had saved a box that brought a large bag of Loki's dog food. I filled this box with Comcast equipment. The box is heavy, I estimate that it weighs 80 lbs to 90 lbs. When I take these components to the Comcast Store for turn-in, Elena will need to help me.
      Please bear in mind that this mass of metal and cables was replaced by a modem that I estimate weighs 1/2 lb. We will save a lot on our electric bill with this mass of metal out of our lives.
    Comcast had an almost monopoly on cable television in the San Francisco Bay area. They failed to innovate and modernize. What I see in the big cardboard box is technology from the late 1970s or early 1980s. Their monthly bills escalated geometrically. They will end up with a fate similar to Smith Corona Typewriter Company, Sears Roebuck, and Company, etc.

Tell someone close to you that you love them!
-JackW

No comments: