Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lt. Colonel Len Pringle USAFR (ret)

Yesterday I got the shocking news that Len had passed away Sunday night. I am still trying to recover. This morning I spent a long time on the phone with his wife of 38 years, Chloe. She had spent 48 years of her life with Len. They had raised two children together.

Len's family came to California from Iowa. He attended high school in Southern California. Like me, he enlisted in the military while he was still a high school student. Like me, he enlisted in the US Air Force to make sure that he was not called the the US Marine Corps.( I enlisted in the US Navy to make sure I did not go to the Marines.) Like me, the military saw Len's potential. He was allowed to get his college degree at California State University in Long Beach. (By the way this is the same college that Steven Spielberg attended).

When Len graduated, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the US Air Force. Len spent his whole career in the Air Force as a communications officer. He had interesting tours including South Korea. He was detached to serve with both the Egyptian Air Force, and the Italian Air Force. Len ended his career as a Lieutenant Colonel. A fluke caused him to miss a promotion to full colonel and an assignment in Hawaii.

Outside of the military Len had a distinguished career in private industry including work with Motorola. I had the pleasure of working with him 5 years at Telewave, Inc. Len was a real professional. He did excellent work. He was always willing to help others. He was a great engineer who could solve complex problems that baffled others.

Above all of this, Len was the older brother that I never had. He was always there to help me and to be my friend. He was my teacher and my counselor.

There are few great people like Len.

No comments: