Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Magical Moment 15 Years Ago Today

Today South Africa is democratically electing a new president. Fifteen years ago today I was staying outside of Port Elizabeth in the small town of Saint Albans. It was the day of South Africa's first fully-democratic election. I was not a citizen but I was being allowed to vote thanks to the courage of the African National Congress. They had insisted that some non-citizens being given the right to vote in the first election. President F. W. de Klerk and the Nationalist Party had disagreed at first. The ANC took to the streets with demonstrations and riots all over South Africa. President de Klerk (who is a wonderful man and a friend of mine,by the way) changed his mind. A number of non-citizens like me were given the right to vote.

My employer, Lt. Col Barnard, was kind enough to see to it that I was driven to the election polls in style. A captain from the South African Army pulled up in a three-series BMW. It was a sunny and cool fall day without a cloud in the sky. I climbed in the BMW and watched as we made our way to the polls. Soldiers were stationed all over the place with impressive-looking weapons. Many people were expecting the worst and hoping for the best. There was some violence in parts of South Africa. Fortunately Saint Albans was spared any troubles.

We drove some five miles before getting to the polling place. It appeared to be the auditorium of a school. I got out of the car and went in with the captain. I was expecting a huge line stretching for blocks. Instead we went quickly to the person checking identities. I presented my South African identity book. My name was checked against the list. I signed a voting book. I was given a long ballot. Because so many people did not read and write, the candidate's pictures were shown. I went to a private booth where I marked my preferences. I placed my vote in the ballot box. The captain then took me back to my residence.

The rest of the day passed without much incidents. In the evenings when it was confirmed that Nelson Mandela had won, there was happiness and celebrations all over the place. What sticks in my mind after all of these years is an interview I saw on the South African Broadcasting Commission with an African woman. She said the following: "At last we will no longer be treated as children."

We all stayed up late. It was such an incredible feeling to be part of such a special moment in history.

No comments: