Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Letter To A Brasilian Woman Doctor After Rio de Janeiro Was Chosen To Host The 2016 Olympics

October 3, 2009

Dear Carla:

I am asking Elena to deliver this note to you because I do not have your email address. When I was in LA the sun had baked my brain. You warned me. When I was asked what my favorite word is in Portuguese, I should have responded amoa.

Elena told me how happy you were when she told you that Rio got the Olympics in 2016. I was happy also.

Elena is amazed about how passionate people in Brasil are about their country. The day I arrived for the first time in Rio in 1975, I was in utter shock about all the poverty and the favelas. When I went through customs, my bags were inspected by a charming and well-dressed Brasilian man who spoke perfect English. He was smoking a pipe. When I looked at my bags later at the hotel, I realized that he had stolen a bottle of whiskey and a tin of pipe tobacco from my bag. When I got in a taxi to go to the Acapulco Hotel in Copacabana, I had no Cruzeiros. I gave the taxi driver US money and got cheated out of $50.00 US.

It was a bad start. Over the next five years I fell madly in love with Brasil and Brasilian people. Under all of the hard times and violence there is happiness, love, and a great social life. Brasil always touches my heart in a special way. I’m sad that Elena never spent enough time in Brasil to get to know it the way we both do.

Felicidades sempre,

No comments: