Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Sixty-One This Morning

I made it to 61 this morning. When I was born in Galveston, Texas, I came into the world one and a half months early. Now this is no big deal for doctors. All of those years ago, it was either a death sentence if no action was taken or blindness for life if they put the little baby in what was called then "an oxygen tent." All twelve pediatricians at the University of Texas Hospital told my mother and father that I would not make it through the night.

One young intern just out of medical school named Dr. Harold Ross refused to accept the judgment of his senior medical colleagues. He stood over me for several hours giving me mouth to mouth resesitation. I pulled though; much to the joy of my mother and father who had waited until their late 30's to have their first child.

Ever since then there has been many times when I was in a hopeless situation and all looked lost. People just shook their head and said "it's the end of him." I susprised everyone at the last minute and prevailed.

What I think of at this moment is a saying that my father shared with me long ago as follows:

"Son when you are surrounded by seven big and angry men and all looks hopeless, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open; God will always provide."

My friends and readers, God has always provided for me for 61 years.

No comments: