Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mutizwa Chirunga-Memories Of A Zimbabwe Friend From 40 Years Ago

Hello Jack,
Hello Brenda,

Please forgive me for intruding into your blog communication (of April '07!). I decided to contact both of you only in memory of a mutual friend/relative, Mutizwa Chirunga, even if belated. I usually wonder curiously, what had happened to people I knew and interacted with in the past. Chirunga had been on my mind for some time; finally today, I googled his name with Tulane Univ; that's how I came across your communication and sadly learned of his passing on, evidently prior to April 2007 (may his soul rest in perfect peace).

As an introduction, my name is Abraham Sadiku, Nigerian-born, now residing in Ontario, Canada. I attended Tulane in 1969/70, then studied Pharmacy at Xavier (both in N/Orleans). That's how I met Mutizwa and Jackie Chirunga. Jack, In your communication you did mention the naming ceremony in 1970/71 of a boy (later Brenda's husband). It had to be 1971, because I remember vividly in 1970 I attended the naming of ceremony Chirungas' DAUGHTER, and as part of our Nigerian tradition, I gave her a native name: Bamidele, which in my language means "come home home with me" and I expressed the wish that that child would go home with Mutizwa. He was very thrilled with the meaning of the name, so much so that as a baby, she was called Bamidele. But I never knew Mutizwa was Zimbabwean; I've always thought he was from S/Africa, until I read your letter.

After graduating from Xavier (1973) I left N/Orleans for post-graduate studies. I finally left for Nigeria after completing my studies (1976); I never saw Mutizwa and Jackie again, so I never knew if he went to medical school or not. But I'm happy to communicate people that also knew them (or him) well.

And Brenda, have you and your husband been to Zimbabwe? And where is Jackie now?
Jack, I'm happy you had a good, gainful time while residing that part of Africa.

With best regards to Jack, and to Brenda. I hope you get this mail; good night!

Abraham J. Sadiku
jideabram@email.com

No comments: