Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

My Last Words On The Day Of My Retirement

A dear friend is having a retirement party this Saturday night. I can't be there. I retired after 8 years with a company. In those 8 years I generated $13 million in sales and had one $4,400 write-off. I never once got a thank you or well done. My salary never went above $48,000 per year. I had to rely on my dear wife for medical insurance. On my final day I thought of a book written by a US Maine Corps lieutenant who survived a tour in Vietnam. The book is A Rumor of War by Phillip Caputo, by the way. After his last patrol he gets on the helicopter for the ride back to base and the trip home. The book ended with these words: "And I had survived...but that was all that I could say." Those were my last words before I took my things and left to retire.

No comments: