Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Sad World Of Homeless College Students

I attended a speech Congress Woman Jackie Speier at the Pacifica/Coastside Democrats meeting. Jackie is always a great speaker. One thing caught my eye and touched my heart. Jackie talked about one constituent who is currently a medical student at UCSF Medical School (Definitely not an easy school to gain admittance to!) She told us that this young man had got his undergraduate degree at San Francisco State University. For three of those 4 years as an under graduate student this student has slept in his car because he did not have the money to even rent a room. Jackie went on to tell us about a conversation she had with a dean at San Francisco State University. This person told her that he drives around the campus late at nights and sees many cars with students sleeping in them. I had to work from eleven at night until seven in the morning 5 days a week to get through Tulane. It was hard but I always had a decent apartment to come home to. It is hard for me to imagine what it is like to live in  a car and sleep in it as a homeless person while trying to get a college education.

No comments: