Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Had My Father Lived He Would Have Been 100 Years Old Today

Had he lived, my father, Vasco L. Walters, would have been 100 years old today. Sadly he left us in January of 1976 at age 60 due to emphysema. I wondered what would happened if he came back to life to celebrate his 100th birthday. He would encounter a world with the following realities:
1) An African-American president.
2) Women fighting in combat in the military.
3) Gay marriage and gay rights.
4) A technological revolution with the internet and all of the mobile technical devices.
5) Companies that he had never dreamed of like Facebook or Google are corporate giants and ruling the information revolution.
6) The possibility of our first woman president in 2016.
7) Electric cars.
8) Private rocket companies like Space-X, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactica about to send humans into space.

Would day be in shock at all of this and sure that our world was in decline? I think not. I believe that he would have been very curious about all of the changes. I would be inundated with questions. He would pass days reading newspapers, magazines and books. He would insist that I teach him how to use the computer.

He would love Elena and spend hours talking with her and getting to understand her. He would spend a lot of time with Luah talking to her about the advertising business.

Most important is that I like to believe that he would have been very proud of me.

No comments: