Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The Man Who Ran Washington

 

My last Birthday present came early yesterday morning. It is a thick book with the title The Man Who Ran Washington. I sent you, Luah, Pedro, and Elena a detailed article on the book from The FT of London.

        When I got out of the US Navy in June of 1972, I returned to Houston. I wanted to get active in politics. I saw an ad for an internship with James A. Baker. He was a rich and powerful man in Houston with incredible political power. I came to his offices for the interview. Mr. Baker was from a family that had been in Texas since the 1840's. The family started Texas Commerce Bank and the Baker Botts LLP law firm. James A Baker graduated from Princeton University. He became an officer in the US Marine Corps during the Korean War. He then graduated from the University of Texas law school. He was , as they say in English, "Old Money." I was a man from the East End of Houston and poor. I went to the interview with some unease. When I was shown into Mr. Baker's office, I got a big surprise. His suit coat was hung over his chair. His tie was pulled down. His shirt sleeves were rolled up. He made me feel relaxed and right at home. We "hit it off."  I got the internship.

      The 90 days that followed were one of my nicest experiences in life. I spent one-hour in a high-level meeting with Governor (later President) Ronald Reagan. I spent a lot of time with former Buffalo Bills quarterback and US Congressman (and later Secretary of Housing and Urban Development) Jack Kemp. I got to meet anybody and everybody in Houston, Texas, and national politics. I have one regret from this experience. Mr. Baker would spend most evenings with the two George Bushes who both became presidents later. I'm sure that if I had asked nicely, he would taken me over to meet them.

      Mr.  Baker went onto greatness becoming Secretary of the Treasury under President Reagan and Secretary of State under President Bush I. The book is great by the way.

 

No comments: