Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

I Cried When I Watched Joe Biden Being Sworn In

 

         I cried as I watched Joe Biden being sworn in as president by Chief Justice John Roberts. (By the way, it is the same oath that one takes when they enlist in the armed forces.)

          My reaction was not political. I felt empathy for a man who started life stuttering and being bullied. His family was very lower middle class. They lived paycheck to paycheck. He struggled to get through law school. Then his career took off when he took a giant risk and ran for US senate. At age 29 he was a US senator. Then his wife and infant daughter were killed when a drunk driver in a truck hit their car. His most-beloved son died of brain cancer at age 46. I could go on.

         50 years ago, if you came into my father's bedroom, you would notice his dresser. It was empty except for a set of three paperback books. It was Carl Sandburg's Lincoln. Dad loved this country. He thought that the best part of this country was that a person could start in most humble circumstances and do great things. Joe Biden proved this again.

No comments: