Pages

Monday, November 22, 2021

President John F. Kennedy Left Us 58 Years Ago

 

     On this day 58 years ago, I was in the 8th grade at Ezekiel W. Cullen Junior High School in Houston. It was a Friday. I had just finished lunch. I went to my algebra class. The teacher was Raul Munoz. He gave us the sad news that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. Reflexively, I told him that he was kidding. He looked at me sternly. He assured me that it was not a joke.

    Television sets went on everywhere in the school. Soon afterwards we got the news that President Kennedy had died at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. The whole country was in mourning and glued to their television sets. Monday was declared a holiday. A man from Texas, Lyndon Baines Johnson, became president.

        Thanksgiving came that year on November 28. My mother, dad, sister, and I got in our 59 Pontiac Catalina. We drove 50 miles south to Galveston, Texas. The road was empty. There was still a feeling of profound sadness and shock. We ate Thanksgiving dinner at our beloved John's Oyster Resort. A lot of diners were there. All seemed quiet and subdued.

        There has been a massive amount written about what would have happened had Kennedy lived. To make a long story short, I do not think that Vietnam would have been the nightmare that it became with 58,000 Americans, 4,000 South Koreans, 500 Australians, and 3.25 million Vietnamese dead.

       A bright light was put out for good. Only later did we come to appreciate his incredible intellect, great skills as a leader, and his humanity and compassion.

No comments: