Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

I Talk To A Young Student About Becoming A Doctor

Shingles is an unpleasant skin disease that can affect older people. On the recommendation of Elena I went yesterday to Kaiser South San Francisco to get a shot to protect me against shingles. At the reception area I met a young lady who was studying for the MCAT examination. (This is the exam that all applicants for medical school must take.) She looked at my Kaiser card and thought that I was a doctor. I explained to her that my wife was a doctor. She asked me for advice. I told her that the three year residency is the worst part of the painful process to become a doctor. I told her how much it hurt me to see Elena literally work a 36 hour workday in ICU . I told her that her partner in life was going to suffer a lot while she went through all the hard steps to become a doctor. I went on to tell her that medicine was a great career not only for the money but also for the satisfaction of being able to help others and save lives. I told her to become a doctor.

No comments: