Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Movie The Wizard Of Oz 20 Years Ago

My friends I always tell you that what one remembers most is the little kind things that people do for you in life when you are "down on your luck," Elena and I had a wonderful time at Dr. Kelvin Choi's bowling party at the Sea Breeze Bowling Alley in Pacifica. After bowling quite a while and working up a sweat, Elena and I went to the bar in the bowling alley. She had a margarita and I had a diet coke.

We looked at the television. They were showing the Judy Garland film The Wizard of Oz on Turner Classic Movies. It brought back a memory from 20 years ago and I shared quite a story with Elena. I was living in Cape Town all of those years ago. Times were tough in South Africa. I lived in a barren studio apartment and was virtually destitute. I did not even have a television. I was alone and without a relationship. I only had one thing going for me at that time. I had a very rich Cape Town business man who was a dear friend of mine(. I am not goin
g to embarrass him and mention his name.) Now most rich people are very tight with money and rarely have friends outside of their social class. Alli was an exception. He was a genuinely nice and generous man who was always helping others and doing acts of kindness for those less fortunate.

He was a gracious friend to me. He often invited me to his mansion where his chef cooked gourmet meals for us. He would take me to his study and show first run movies often only available in movie theaters. His staff took me shopping with them to various malls. I never asked Alli for money or a job with any of his companies. I just appreciated his friendship and wonderful company.

I remember the time around Thanksgiving and Christmas. One night I was sitting in my barren studio apartment. I was expecting another lonely and empty night. I was surprised t hear a knock at the door. I looked through the peep hole. Two of Alli's employees were thee. I opened the door and let them in. They were holding a portable television. One said to me: "You're an American. That great American film The Wizard of Oz is on television tonight. The boss wanted you to be able to enjoy it." They handed me a portable television. I thanked them several times and was so touched.


-- 

No comments: