Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Two Coffee Cups From Disneyland Bring Back Incredible Memories

Luah was kind enough to bring us back two very nice coffee mugs from Disneyland. One has what looks like an original Walt Disney sketch of Mickey Mouse. The other cup has what looks like an original Walt Disney sketch of Minnie Mouse. It brought back some memories from long ago.

These images brought back some memories from 1976. Mrs. Julius C. Rosenthal was the grand daughter of one of the founders of Sears Roebuck and Company.. Alvin Roebuck. She was a fabulously rich lady who lived in New Orleans in a grand mansion.

In the early 1930's my late mother was hired to be her governess. This helped my mother to earn money for college during the Great Depression.

In 1976 a very dear friend applied for a job with Mrs. Rosenthal. I got the courage to call her and "drop the name of my mother." The lady was very touched and agreed to see me in person. One Friday night I drove from Houston to New Orleans. The next morning I went to Mrs. Rosenthal's mansion. She met me at the door and invited me in. What caught my attention as I walked in were three original Walt Disney sketches of Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Mrs. Rosenthal assured me that they were originals and true collector's items. I was impressed to say the least.

She then took me into the sitting room and offered me coffee. She listened intently while I talked to her about the great virtues of my friend, William Bahr. She was impressed that I would drive 400 miles to give him a reference.

The conversation then turned to my mother. She remembered her with great fondness from 45 years before. She really loved the time that she spent with my mother. We spent a delightful few hours together and I left.

A couple of weeks later I got a pleasant call from my mother. She shared with me an incredible story. One day around lunch time a limousine had appeared at her front door. It was Mrs. Rosenthal. She greeted my mother and took her to grand restaurant. They spent hours talking about their lives together 45 years before.

Luah thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories!!

No comments: