Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

My IPad Screen Saver Picture-The Cockpit Of The Enola Gay

I changed the screen saver on my IPad to a picture I took at the large Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport in Washington, DC. They have the B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. the Enola Gay hanging from the ceiling. There is a concrete cat walk where you can walk above the plane and look down at the cockpit. When I was at that spot, I looked down at the cramped cockpit with the uncomfortable seats. The pilot, Colonel Tibbets, the co-pilot and the bombadier sat up there. I stared for a long time and was deeply affected. I wondered what went through their minds as they got ready to drop the bomb. I suspect that they did not understand what devastation that they were unleashing. I took a picture. When deciding on a screen saver picture for my IPad I had literally hundreds of pictures to choose from but I chose that one because it emotionally affected me so much. Elena said it was a sad picture. It is sad but also thought provoking. Perhaps it was not even necessary to use the atomic bombs on Japan. The Russians had already invaded Manchuria with a 2.5 million man army. The Japanese leadership knew that the end was near. They had the choice of surrendering to the Americans or the Russians. It was not a hard choice to make. Sadly President Truman could not read the minds of the Japanese leaders. I am thankful that in 68 years no nuclear weapon has been fired in anger anywhere in the world. That is a miracle!

No comments: