Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Malaysian Airlines Flight Climbed To 45,000 Feet

I began flying on jet planes in June of 1967. My first flight was on a Boeing 707 going from Houston to Los Angeles. I was on my way to US Navy boot camp. I told my mother and father that it was thrilling to be able to urinate while flying at 35,000 feet.
In all of my almost 47 years of flying I must have flown some several million miles in the air allover the world. There was only one time that I thought that I was going to die on a plane. It was on a flight between Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires in February of 1980. The plane encountered such violent turbulence that I honestly believed that it was going to have a structural failure and break apart in the air. My palms were still sweating after we landed in Buenos Aires.
In my flying career I have flown as fast as 700 miles per hour. I have been as high as 42,000 feet.
Last night Elena shared with me some news about the missing Malaysian airliner. There is now an indication that it climbed to 45,000 feet. Elena told me that the goal of that climb was to render all of the passengers unconscious. She asked me if the pilots had oxygen masks. I assured her they did.
Elena believed that whoever was controlling the plane depressurized the cabin. She thought that it was to make the passengers pass out. I am sure that it was to kill all of the passengers. Hopefully the passengers fell off to sleep and never knew they were dying.
Statistically flying is safer than driving down the freeway. But some people in the air get very unlucky. This appears to be the case with the passengers on that flight.

No comments: