Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

15 Years Ago Today I Stopped Being A Homeless Person

This 4th of July is a very special day for me. 15 years ago today my status changed from a homeless person to a person with a two-bedroom apartment in the Willow Glen section of San Jose, California. I woke up that morning sleeping on the floor of a church. I had breakfast and got my things together, including my bicycle. All of these things were loaded in the back of a pick-up truck. I was driven to the Glen Willow Apartments.The people from Inn Visions helped me to bring my clothes and my bike up to my new apartment. They shook my hand and wished me good luck. It felt so wonderful to have my own home again. I had to sleep in a sleeping bag for the first few days. A Catholic Church in San Jose gave me furniture (some of which I still have today!). Joao and Djenane Santos helped me to move the furniture into the apartment. I had to work two jobs to afford the rent but it did not matter. Finally I had my dignity back! I had some hope in life.
When Elena came to the US to start our lives together she came to this apartment.
Rebecca Snyders Darr a big hug for you and a special thanks! Your grant for the damage deposit made it all happen. I had been homeless, on and off, from September, 1996 to July 4, 1999.

No comments: