Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dog Licenses Are A Pain In The Ass

All of you who live in the UK and many British Commonwealth countries are familiar with something called a television license. One is required to buy a license each year for each television in your home or place of business. Do not laugh at this. If you do not buy the license, the local police will come out, seize your televisions and sell them at auction.
San Mateo County, California has something like this. It's called a dog license. It has the noble goal of insuring that each domestic animal has its proper vaccinations. This is supposed to protect us from rabies, etc.
In practice it's the biggest pain in the world. One has to collect a lot of papers and send them in. Mistakes are made all the time. I properly renewed the dog license of Copernicus. Yesterday in the mail I got this red notice telling me that I had not renewed the license. This morning while working I had to open up the safe and get out the dog license file. I had to make a copy of Copernicus's current dog license. I then had to mail it to Texas.This all took 30 minutes of work that I could have used better elsewhere.

No comments: