Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Some Hot "Jail House Chili"

My friends when I was a little child my dear mother would slave for hours cooking a dish known as "jailhouse chili." When we ate it at dinner it was a master piece of great spices and meat. I remember it decades later. Yesterday I decided to try my hand at cooking. With the help of a mix I made my own chili dish. It took almost two hours of hard work. The end result was very decent.
It was also very spicy. Over thirty years ago my ex-wife Maria and I used to go to a special Indian restaurant in the Parramatta section of Sydney.(This was the actual town where British ships bearing convicts would land and unload their human cargo.) This Indian restaurant had very spicy foods. Maria and I would leave the restaurant sweating and with tears in our eyes. From that moment on I decided that food is not really spicy unless one leaves the table after eating sweating and with tears in the eyes.
I always tell Elena that people from the UK and Argentina have much in common including a disdain for spicy food. Elena appreciated my efforts and liked the flavor. But it was too spicy for her. She had to open another can of beans and put it in her chili to cool it down
I got up from eating dinner with sweat on my face and tears in my eyes. I knew that I had cooked a great meal!!!!!!

No comments: