Pages

Monday, May 10, 2021

A Most Serious And Troubling Cyberattack For A Ransom!

 

The New York Times is talking about a most-serious ransomware attack that shut down an oil pipeline company that supplies half the fuel oil and gasoline for the US East Coast. This is most concerning. I gave a lot of thought to this yesterday. If this had happened during "the dead of winter," hundreds of thousands or millions of houses, apartments, and office buildings could find themselves without fuel oil. People could literally freeze to death.

    State-sponsored hacking and cyberattacks go to a certain point and stop. What deters "crossing certain lines" is the fear of serious military retaliation. We have some very brave and stupid private hackers taking a giant risk for a huge payday in the tens of millions of dollars.

    Criminals like these lock up the IT system of a company, hospital, or government agency. A ransom is demanded in Bitcoins (usually) to give the encryption code to release the organization's computer systems. A lot of organizations quietly pay. Other organizations bravely and rightfully refuse to pay. They build a whole new IT system to replace the one locked up.

    Almost two years ago, I got hit with ransomware. After the lock-up, this ominous artificial intelligence voice demanded $5,000 in Bitcoins to release my computer.

      Those of you who know me well know that I do not "bow down to bullies and thugs." I took my computer to the retail store Best Buy. I left it with their Geek Squad team. I told them to rebuild a new computer, if necessary. I got a phone call a week later. I was told that my computer was ready. When I came to the store and went to check out, I got a huge surprise. The bill was only $249.00US. My computer was back to normal. The ransomware attack had been thwarted.

No comments: