Pages

Monday, July 19, 2021

A Weather Station For The House

 

     Those of you who know me well know that I was born on an island. At a very young age, I developed a profound love for the sea. When it came time for military service, I joined the US Navy while still in high school. I had a varied US Navy career including service on the destroyer USS Haynesworth (DD-700), a brief stint on the aircraft carrier USS Lexington (ATV-17), shore duty in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and another brief stint on motor patrol boat PCF-38.

    When you are on the ocean, weather literally becomes a matter of life and death. You are always observing temperature, rainfall, humidity and all the good things you get on the weather report on the evening news. On the ocean a cautious person should always be watching barometric pressure. If it drops dramatically, you are about to get hit with a storm or even a tsunami.

        As we were modernizing the deck above the house, I encountered a fascinating piece of equipment. It is the AcuRite 5-in-1 Professional Weather Station. Here are the details:

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBFNG3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

       I loved the idea of having our own little weather station for the house. It was physically easy to set up. Getting all the software to work and the station to connect to the internet was a challenge. Yesterday afternoon I got it to work. Now I have a monitor right by my desk giving me real time weather data. I always keep my eye on barometric  pressure readings.

No comments: