Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2022

A Joyous Celebration At Nick's Restaurant

       Yesterday afternoon was our reader Djenane C. Santos's celebration lunch. As she is Brasilian, I suggested a Brasilian churrascaria named Espetus. Djenane requested Nick's Restaurant here in Pacifica. She chose this restaurant because it was the place that Elena and I took her and Joao to after they returned to the US in January of 2015.

       I was born on the island of Galveston off the coast of Texas. My most beloved restaurant there is Guido’s. It was opened in 1911. It is a great seafood restaurant. When I arrive at Nick's Restaurant, I feel like I am back in Galveston at Guido’s Restaurant.

      In 2027 Nick's Restaurant will mark 100 years in business. It began life in 1927 as The Rockaway Beach Cafe. All those years ago Pacifica was an unincorporated area with a few homes. It was an area with underworld elements selling illegal whisky and, shall we say, "wiling women." Every now and then a dead body would wash up on the beach.

       Nick's Restaurant survived "The Roaring 20s," The Great Depression, World War II, Korea, The Cold War, The Social Upheaval of the 1960s and Vietnam, Watergate, The Fall of the Soviet Union, The 9-11 Attacks with wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and many US Presidents. It has been hit by earthquakes and menaced by the dreaded California Coastal Commission. It has survived ruthless competitors trying to put it out of business. Elena complains that the menu never changes. To me, this is a virtue. Nick's offers great food and drinks served by a friendly and helpful staff.

    Elena and I hosted Djenane, her husband Joao, and her daughter Bianca. I was so proud of her for the big risk that she took returning to this country in 2015. I saw her "err and fall short" a few times before this moment of triumph. We all had a wonderful time!

 

No comments: