Pages

Monday, May 23, 2022

Three Dear Friends Who Missed Their 50- Year Tulane Class Reunion

     I am back from my 50-year class reunion at Tulane University. I encountered the Commandant of the US Marine Corps and a brilliant professor of Russian studies-William Craft Blumfield. I connected with old friends and made some new ones. It was a great trip.

   Something hit me hard. Let us go back 51 years. I was a 21-year-old young man married and a student at Tulane. My first wife and I sharted deep friendships with three other couples living on the 4th floor of an 8-story apartment building located at 6440 South Claiborne Avenue in New Orleans. It was located on the Tulane campus. An old stadium was right behind the building. The New Orleans Saints started playing professional football at this stadium.

        Our first dear friends were Mutizwa Chirunga (of Zimbabwe), Jackie Chirunga (American woman), and infant Mutizwa Chirunga, Jr. When Mutizwa, Jr. was christened in a church, 48 Africans living in the New Orleans area showed up. My first wife and I were honored to be the only Europeans invited to the christening. Mutizwa had big dreams of becoming a doctor in the US. His dreams never came true. Mutizwa died in poverty of cancer at age 53 in Michigan.

     Kenneth Alan Jaye and Eylona Jaye were the second couple. They had come from Miami. Ken was a graduate student in the School of Social Work. We developed a deep friendship with Ken and Eylona Jaye. Eylona was a schoolteacher. I went to see Ken's mom and dad in Miami. We stayed in contact for many years after we left Tulane. Ken was obese and sedentary. The Tulane University Alumni Association list Ken as diseased. I am sure that he died of a heart attack or complications from diabetes.

     Bill and Mimi Schoof were the third couple. They had come from Albany, New York. Bill was a graduate student at the Tulane School of Social Work. Mimi worked at a job in New Orleans to help her husband. I lost touch with Bill and Mimi after I left Tulane. The Tulane Alumni Association also lists Bill as deceased. Perhaps he died of cancer. Perhaps he was hit by a drunk driver. The cause of death is not listed.

    The wives of these men are still living. The wonderful group of 4 men and struggling students should have been part of the 50-year class reunion. I am the only survivor. It hit me hard and made me think. I'm a very lucky man! I will leave you to reflect on my words.

 

Find some peace and love today!

No comments: