Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Animals Are So Much Like Us

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Animals Are So Much Like Us

In October, 2007 I left the corporate world for good. I resigned at the moment I had 8 years of service. It was a month of record sales for me.I formed my own company. I starved for the first year. This year will be much better with $109,000 in earnings so far.

I left the corporate world because I was sick and tired of the following:

1) A 100 mile per day round trip commute to the office. This long drive wore out one car and was starting to wear out another car long before it was paid off; not to mention the gasoline bills.

2) Hostile corporate politics where one had to be on guard all the time.

3) A culture of people whom I would describe as red necks and right wingers. I did not fit in there.

4) I was getting bored as it seemed that I had accomplished all that I could accomplish there.

I started to work from the house. It was fun at first. Then I started to miss all of the human contact and interactions I had at work. I started to miss having a part in big deals and big decisions. I began to realize what women feel like when they are left at home to raise young children while their husband and friends continue their corporate career.

This new work environment left me with a lot of time with our two dogs Copernicus and Eloisa. For all of our previous years together, I just considered them hounds or pooches.

My work day often starts at two in the morning as I have to work with Europe and Africa. I have to make sure that my wife gets up at 7:15 and has her breakfast and newspaper before going to work. Then I take a break from work and take the dogs for a one-hour walk. I spend the rest of the day with them.

All of this time with the dogs has been a wonderful educational experience for me. I have come to admire the intelligence and common sense both of these animals display. I began to see that they have moods and feelings just like we humans. They also need love and companionship badly. They constantly struggle for position in the hierarchy. They love good food but not alcohol. They also have sexual desires and needs as we do. They feel lonely as we do. They get depressed as we do. They have sudden bursts of energy followed by periods of rest. They like creature comforts as we do.

What is the object of these comments? We need to see animals more as our companions and not as beasts or inferior beings. We need to take time to get to know them better. We need to treat them more humanely. One day animals will have many of the same rights and protections in the law that we humans now enjoy.

0 comments:

No comments: