Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Movie The Brylcreem Boys

I subscribe to Hulu. It is a movie and TV service that competes with Netflix. This service has these great little fims that never were commercial successes. I am watching one such film-The Brycreem Boys. It was made in 1998. I thought I was an expert on World War II history but I learned something new. A number of Allied and Nazi sailors and airmen bungled onto Irish soil. Ireland was neutral in World War II. But when a military person from one of the combatants showed up, they were taken prisoner. They were held until the end of the war. I am sure that some South Africans experienced this. If an allied POW made their way out of the camp and to Northern Ireland, they were returned to the authorities in Ireland. The Bristish were concerned that Ireland would come into the war on the side of the Nazis and they cooperated with this imprisonment of their military personnel.

No comments: