Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Documentary Soviet Storm-World War II In The East

I must confess that for 43 years I have had a passion in life. It started when I had a minor in Russian history at Tulane University. It is The Great Patriotic War. I was the time in World War II from June 22, 1941 to April, 1945 when the Russians fought off Nazi invaders, Please bear in mind that in all of World War II the US lost 407,000 men and women in battle and accidents. The British lost some 360,000 people including those killed in air raids. The Nazis lost some 5 million people. The Russian people suffered a staggering 27 million people killed including battle deaths, starvation, and Nazi brutality toward Jewish people, etc. To put this into some kind of scale, it is like 38.5 cities the size of San Francisco being destroyed with all inhabitants killed. Had the Germans not been tied down fighting the Russians, US and British casualties in World War II would have been horrific.
I have read over 3,000 books on this subject. It is very important to me that we never forget the incredible courage and suffering of the Russian people.
The internet television service Hulu gave me a rare treat. It was a multi-part documentary from Russia. Its title was "Soviet Storm-World War II In The East. It is a documentary that was beautifully researched and produced. After 43 years of study I was learning new things. This is a wonderful program!!!

No comments: