Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Beware Of The Pitfalls Of A House Remodel!

I lived in South Africa for six years. There was an old folk saying there that said more or less:
"The quickest way to a divorce is a house remodel."
From 2011 until today I have been involved with remodeling this house. I have been blessed to have a great team working with me. One dear contractor died in a motorcycle accident while working on this project. Still a house remodel is absolute hell on earth. Your house is disrupted. There are all sorts of loud noises and bad fumes. One does not simply hire good people and watch them work. One has to be constantly interacting with them. One has to watch every detail. After all , the workers cannot read your mind. There are huge financial consequences to a mistake in building or hiring the wrong person.
There was a hard day of work finishing the latest change to the house-the installation of a sliding door between the master bedroom and the living room. I was physically and mentally exhausted afterwards.
I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Oh ,and getting back to the South African folk saying, Elena and I are still happily married. Her vision and determination to bring this 73 year old house back to life made all of the difference.

No comments: