Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Boxing Day

Even at my advanced age I learn something new every day. Those of you who know me well know that i spent over 11 years of my life in Britain, Scotland, South Africa and Australia. These countries have a nice tradition of giving everyone an additional day of Christmas holiday falling on 26 December. I always appreciated the day off. I never looked deeply into why I was getting the extra day of holiday. I vaguely assumed that  it had something to do with the sport boxing.

A wonderful friend of mine from Ireland named Dave set me straight on 26 December. Boxing Day is a holiday where the elites (ie Downton Abby) prepare small boxes for their servants and low-level employees. These boxes contain leftovers from the Christmas dinner and small gifts.

No comments: