Pages

Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Magic Of Christmas 60 Years Ago

I have made it to Christmas day another year. For that I am thankful!!! I think back 60 years to the mid-1950's and what Christmas was like then. Dad had served in Europe in World War II. He developed a liking for European foods. He would bring home exotic crackers, cheeses, spreads and meats from one of his advertising clients; European Imports. He and mother would enjoy bourbon with their Christmas eve snack. My sister and I got to drink coke. It was a wonderful family get together time. Dad and mother would allow each of us to open one gift on Christmas eve. We would then go to bed full of excitement. 

We would awaken at three in the morning and start to open our presents. Later Mom and dad would get up. My dear mother would work hard all day long in the kitchen preparing turkey, dressing and side dishes. Dad would entertain us by taking us to movies or other events around town. Around six in the evening we would sit down at the table at our humble house at 5715 Belarbor Avenue in Houston and have a wonderful Christmas dinner. Christmas was a magical time for us long ago! I hope that young children today have wonderful parents who work hard to help them to experience the magic of Christmas.

No comments: