Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Another Day Of Trials, Hard Work, And Some Progress On The House


I started work early with our main contractor. I found out that the plumbers had set a pipe too high in the area where the concrete slab for the kitchen expansion was going to be poured. Alansi's Plumbing and Rooting came out and promptly corrected the error. All of the forms were laid and two men worked all day long to lay the concrete slab. It looks beautiful and we will need 24 hours for it to dry.

I had to go to Lowe's to try to find a special gas line adapter for our gas dryer. This adapter is needed so that the dryer will fit closer to the wall. When this happens we will be able to move the washing machine over a few millimeters so that the left side door for detergent will open. Lowe's is always a wonderful store. They did not have such an adapter. They gave me the phone number of their parts department. I came home and called the parts department. They did not have the adapter. My builder said that he could make it himself.

I installed a state of the art garage door opener for my garage. It has batteries that recharge. If the power goes off, the garage door opener still works for up to 15 times. When I put the car in the garage and tried to close the door, the door went down most of the way and then popped back up. Walter Rojas from A and H Garage Doors and Access Controls came out and looked at it. He determined that the whole unit had failed and must be replaced. I will have a new unit in tomorrow. We paid almost $600 US for this garage door opener. What happened to the quality control?

At three in the afternoon my builder took me for a tour for the new room. It is finished (with the exception of some minor adjustments that will be done on Friday. I was pleased with what I saw. We started on this project in early June. It has taken two months to complete and turned out to be very complex and expensive.

At four in the afternoon, Jim Schwandt Of Luminalt Solar Electric & Solar Hot Water showed up. He was a professional gentleman and a great credit to his company. He explained a lot about solar power. He dispelled the myth that an area with three months of rain and three months of fog was not suitable for solar power. He went on to spend over an hour carefully studying the house. His engineers will need 1-2 weeks to do a feasibility study to see if solar would work for us.

Elena came in after seven and we reviewed the work for the day. We carefully looked at how the kitchen was going to be expanded. We both agreed that we would now have enough room for a dining area. Elena was guardedly pleased.




 

No comments: