Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Now I'm A Qualified Segway Driver

Jim Helberg of Segway of Silicon Valley called and asked me to come over at 14:00 for a two-hour Segway orientation. I agreed to do so. I arrived 15 minutes early. They didn't have a helmet that fit me for sale. I got a loaner that I’m using until the new one arrives. I met Ashley and Shawn from Sacramento, my team mates for the ride. It was raining but that did not stop Jim. (He’s amazing for a man 76 years old.) We all got a Segway unit and assembled near Rock’n Rob’s Famous Burgers. We did simple practice runs and learned basics. We then went down to the quarry and over to Sharp Park. It was raining, my legs hurt, and I was scared. The wind got so hard that I thought that I was going to be knocked over a few times. I didn’t see how I was going to make it but I did. I came down one hill too fast. I was behind a lot of the time. I felt like the Mitchell Gant in the book Fire Fox. But I didn’t quit. We came back from Sharp Park and went to the motel next to Nick’s Restaurant. We began a climb into the hills. The views of the beach were spectacular. I didn’t think that I could do such a complicated and demanding area but I did.( I was always aware that one mistake would see me and the Segway falling off a high cliff to beaches full of rocks below.) We went to Taco Bell’s and came back through the hills. I was so glad when we arrived at the Segway of Silicon Valley offices. I also felt wonderful that I had made it. Jim Helberg was an incredible teacher and taught us all the safety things that are vital to prevent an injury.

No comments: