Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Sudden Change In My Alcohol Consumption Habilts

I spent 6 years of my life in South Africa and five years of my life in Australia. I came to enjoy the British Commonwealth lifestyle including a healthy amount of alcohol consumption. I followed the lead of my beloved author Wilbur Smith. I had a shot of whiskey late int he afternoon and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner almost every day.
I got back the results of my latest cholesterol tests. My LDL or bad cholesterol had shot up to 151. This was out of normal range. I also had a CPK marker that showed inflamation. This made me a prime candidate for a stroke or a heart attack.
My doctor told me to start taking statins. This is a magical medication. It lowers LDL cholesterol. It also coats ones arteries and veins and protects against all sorts of problems. There are usually few side affects.
The bad news is that alcohol consumption is prohibited. On a day when one has to drink one cannot take the medication.
I have adapted to this new life by drinking a lot of coffee and diet sodas. This destroys my craving for alcohol.

No comments: