Pages

Monday, May 1, 2017

Some Terrible Hardships Of Being Poor

Some Awful Hardships of Being Poor
If you come to our garage, you will see two bikes hanging in there. One is Elena's bike. One is the bike that I will have owned for 20 years in July. That bike has a special place in my life. It reminds of how far that I have come in 20 years. It started with me when I was homeless.
During that hard time in my life, I discovered something. Forget about all the laws around the world banning age discrimination. In real life they are meaningless (for the most part.)
I would get close to finding a decent job and then the deal would fall through. At Oracle the human Resources lady admitted tome that my boss liked me but said that 48 years old was too old. I was stuck in low-paying ($8.00 per hour) exploitation jobs. Sometimes I had to work two of these jobs to survive.
Yesterday Elena and I walked part of the Iron Horse Trail starting in Danville, California. I moved to Danville in September of 1997 in expectation of a job opening up for me.It did but later. I was left with having to commute from Danville to San Jose, California. I had no car and only a bicycle. At 05:00 each weekday, I would be on the Iron Horse Trail in Danville. I would ride to Walnut Creek on this trail. Then I would be on a dangerous and dark street in walnut Creek driving to the BART station. I would get on the train and ride to San Francisco. I would get off the BART and ride my bike a few dangerous blocks to the Caltrains station. It was another one hour ride to San Jose. Then it was the bike ride again to the George S. May Company on Hedding Street in San Jose. When work finished at 15:00 I had the same two-hour ordeal to get back to Danville. God protected me from harm and I stayed in good physical condition. My thanks to Jack and Sacha Stel for giving me a great work opportunity at a decent wage in Danville that stopped this awful ride in early November of 1997.
Algunas terribles dificultades de ser pobre
Si viene a nuestro garaje, verá dos bicicletas colgando allí. Uno es la bicicleta de Elena. Una es la moto que habré poseído durante 20 años en julio. Esa moto tiene un lugar especial en mi vida. Me recuerda lo lejos que he venido en 20 años. Comenzó conmigo cuando estaba sin hogar.
Durante ese tiempo difícil en mi vida, descubrí algo. Olvídese de todas las leyes alrededor del mundo que prohíben la discriminación por edad. En la vida real no tienen sentido (en su mayor parte).
Me pondría cerca de encontrar un trabajo decente y luego el acuerdo caería a través. En Oracle, la señora de Recursos Humanos admitió que mi jefe me gustaba, pero dijo que 48 años era demasiado viejo. Yo estaba atrapado en trabajos de explotación de bajos salarios ($ 8.00 por hora). A veces tenía que trabajar dos de estos trabajos para sobrevivir.
Ayer Elena y yo caminamos parte del Iron Horse Trail comenzando en Danville, California. Me mudé a Danville en septiembre de 1997 en la expectativa de un trabajo de apertura para mí. Lo hizo, pero más tarde. Me quedé con tener que conmutar de Danville a San José, California. No tenía coche y sólo una bicicleta. A las 05:00 cada día de la semana, estaría en el Iron Horse Trail en Danville. Me gustaría montar a Walnut Creek en este sendero. Entonces estaría en una peligrosa y oscura calle en Walnut Creek conduciendo a la estación de BART. Me gustaría subir al tren y montar a San Francisco. Me bajaba del BART y montaba en bicicleta algunos bloques peligrosos a la estación de Caltrains. Fue otro paseo de una hora a San José. Luego fue el paseo en bicicleta de nuevo a la George S. May Company en Hedding Street en San José. Cuando el trabajo terminó a las 15:00 tuve la misma experiencia de dos horas para regresar a Danville. Dios me protegió de los daños y me quedé en buenas condiciones físicas. Mis gracias a Jack y Sacha Stel por darme una gran oportunidad de trabajo a un salario decente en Danville que detuvo este terrible viaje a principios de noviembre de 1997.

LikeShow more reactions
Comment
Comments

No comments: