Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Politics Is The Dirtiest Business There Is

My friends my father fought against the Japanese in the island campaigns. He got sick with malaria and had to be evacuated. After he got his health back he ended up serving with General George Patton in the Third Army. He landed in France 6 days after D-Day. He roared all the way across France. He fought at the Battle of the Bulge. He ended up linking up with Russian troops in Czechoslovakia. Dad knew the horrors of war. He toured German death camps. He saw friends near to him get killed.

Dad also had some profound words of wisdom for me when I joined the Houston Teen Democrats in 1966 as follows:

"Son war is not the dirtiest business there is. Politics is the dirtiest business there is."

Elena cannot help but take note of my passion for the Netflix series House of Cards. She commented that the show is too grim and sad. She said that the show lacked joy and humor.

I pointed out to her that real life politics is often very grim and very sad. People who go into that career generally make very low wages. They work very long hours under very high pressure. They rarely get credit or appreciation for the good things they do. They get brutally lambasted when they make a mistake or something goes wrong. Their personal life,financial affairs, and family become "an open book" for all to read. They often have to make very unpleasant decisions.

Over a decade ago my daughter in law was studying political science at San Jose State University. She had dreams of running for public office. I gave her one cautionary warning as follows:

"Part of being an elected official is the possibility that in a law enforcement or military situation, you might have to order that people be killed or order your own workers to give their lives for their country."

My first wife worked for then Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott of Pennsylvania in the 1970's. I have participated in many political campaigns. I have had the honor of meeting two American presidents-Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter.

When I watch House of Cards, I think to myself:

"Oh my God that's the way it really is!!!!"

No comments: