Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Retired and Over Worked

Retirement is supposed to be a time of well earned relaxation and a slower pace in life. After all we work had so that one day we can retire (hopefully)

I find myself working very hard each day. The first part of this hard work is walking an average of 2 miles per day and then swimming for 1.5 hours. This exercise is vital to keeping me a alive a few years more (Provided that I do not get cancer or something awful like that.)

The next part of this hard work is all the work that I have to do around the house ranging from washing clothes, handling repairs, cooking (as best that I can), doing income taxes, managing the budget, etc. My wife works long hours. Luah spends long hours in school. We are very middle class and could not dream of affording a maid. So I am the housewife here.

I think back to the classic 1970's film with the great actress Carrie Snodgrass (who died too young at 57 years of age), Diary of A Mad Housewife. It came out at the beginning of the women's movement. It showed how awful and degrading the job of housewife is.

Then I think back to another classic film from the 1980's with the title of Mr. Mom. It's set in Detroit. The husband gets laid off from the auto industry and the wife goes to work. He becomes the housewife and finds out how hard and awful that job is.

It is also a case that you get no appreciation when things go right and a lot of anger when things go wrong/

No comments: